ApprenticeConnect Australia Advice Forum

This blog has been developed as a forum for students, school leavers and parents to ask questions about electrical apprenticeships. Our team of expert advisors will be available to answer your queries.

Posted in Introduction | Tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , | Leave a comment

What education level is required to get an electrical apprenticeship?

Industry prefers a year 12 education with passes in English, Maths and Science.

Posted in Q&A | Tagged , , | 1 Comment

What subjects should I take at school to get an electrical apprenticeship?

Maths A and Science is required due to the nature of the work being conducted and the theory/study component of your apprenticeship. Physics is also desirable as well as sound levels in English, Literacy and Numeracy.

Posted in Q&A | Tagged , , , , , , , , , | 5 Comments

Where can I go to get an electrical apprenticeship?

Registering with a group training organisation is a good place to start. Another option is looking on job search websites such as SEEK and also on specific companies websites that employ electricians such as energy and mining companies.

For a list of group training organisations, visit

Posted in Q&A | Tagged , , , , , , , , , | 2 Comments

How much will I get paid as an apprentice?

The national minimum hourly award wage for apprentices starts at approximately $10p/h dependent on age and employment industrial agreement.

For more information visit

Posted in Q&A | Tagged , , , , , , , , , | 1 Comment

How easy is it to get an electrical apprenticeship?

There is quite a large shortage of skilled workers in this field Australia-wide, however supply of electrical apprenticeships does not meet demand. Often larger companies will only accept applications once a year, during their recruitment period.  Typically a good way to find an apprenticeship with smaller companies is through word of mouth and by sending resumes directly to employers.

Posted in Q&A | Tagged , , , , , , , , , | Leave a comment

Who provides the courses?

Registered training organisations (RTOs) are government-approved to provide nationally recognised training and qualifications that meet strict guidelines set out by the Australian Quality Training Framework. RTOs can include TAFEs, private training providers, adult education colleges, industry organisations and agricultural colleges. Universities and schools are often also registered as RTOs so that they can offer nationally recognised vocational education and training as well as their university or school education.

Training is delivered via a range of RTOs: TAFEs, Institutes of Technology and Polytechnics

Public registered training organisations (RTOs) are major providers of vocational education and training (VET). They may have different names around Australia, including TAFEs, Institutes of Technology and Polytechincs. Many public providers deliver a broad range of qualifications in terms of both content and level, from technical, including trades and paraprofessional, to creative arts and administrative areas. Most training delivered by public providers involves nationally recognised training but they may also offer labour market courses, entry and bridging courses, and adult and community education classes.

Modes may include day release, blocks online and face-to-face.

Posted in Q&A | Tagged , , , , , , , , , | Leave a comment

Can I get a Centrelink allowance to help me during my apprenticeship?

Centrelink can offer financial support through programs such as Youth Allowance, ABSTUDY, Austudy, VET FEE-HELP, the Australian Apprenticeships Incentives Program, Indigenous Cadetship Support and the Living Away from Home Allowance. You may also be eligible for a tools allowance to help with the costs associated with buying tools for your job. Please note that employers must pay apprentices a tool allowance and a lot of employers provide tools directly in addition to the tool allowance.

State and territory governments also offer programs that may subsidise tuition costs, help with travel, accommodation, tutors, mentors, translators, essential tools and protective equipment.

Your registered training organisation or your state or territory training authority, a local Australian Apprenticeships Centre or Centrelink will be able to advise you further on where you can get the help you need and any conditions that apply. Centrelink doesn’t directly pay for course fees, but if you have a concession card (such as a Low Income Health Care Card) you may receive a discount or financial assistance from Centrelink.

Posted in Q&A | Tagged , , , , , , , , , | 6 Comments