Civil Engineering Draftsperson
Civil engineering draftspeople prepare detailed drawings and plans for civil engineering work. They support civil engineering professionals and engineering technologists.
Personal requirements of a civil engineering draftsperson may include:
- Interest in solving practical and technical problems
- Strong analytical skills
- Good communication skills
- Good mathematical and physics skills
- Ability to interpret information
This occupation may involve tasks and duties such as:
- Preparing sketches, charts, tabulations, plans and designs for civil engineering works, such as drainage and water supply
- Performing and directing fieldwork and laboratory testing
- Interpreting work assignment instructions, applying appropriate procedures and selecting equipment
- Collecting and analysing data and carrying out computations
- Estimating material costs and ensuring finished works are within specifications, regulations and contract provisions
- Inspecting civil engineering works, and organising and supervising maintenance and repair work
- Conducting field and laboratory tests of construction materials and soils
- Collecting data for traffic surveys
To become a civil engineering draftsperson usually requires the completion of a Certificate III in Structural and Civil Engineering or a higher qualification (Bachelor degree) in Civil Engineering.
Civil engineering draftsperson job opportunities may be in engineering firms or for construction projects overseeing the maintenance of civil engineering works and facilities.