A driller assembles, positions, and operates a drilling rig and related equipment in order to extract gases or liquids from the earth. A driller usually has a team of assistants performing the tasks listed below. Drillers may specialise in an area like coal seam drilling.
Drillers may complete the following tasks:
- Dismantling, moving and reassembling drilling rigs and accessory plants
- Taking and packaging samples of liquids and gases
- Performing minor maintenance and repairs, lubricating and cleaning the plants
- Operating surface and underground mining plants
- Undertaking development work such as opening up new shafts, drives, air vents, rises and crib rooms
- Positioning explosives in bore holes and priming explosives using detonators and explosive cartridges
- Connecting wires, fuses and detonating cords to explosive cartridges and detonators, and detonating explosives
- Monitoring operation of plant and ensuring safety of other workers on mining sites and during drilling operations
Occupation opportunities as a driller are in the gas and oil industry (mining companies, drilling contractors), mineral exploration and investigation industry and on construction sites. This job often takes place at oil and gas exploration and production facilities situated offshore and onshore, as well as construction sites and mines.
- See Also: Driller's Assistant