Geologists (Exploration or Resource Geologist) study the composition, structure and other physical attributes of the earth to increase scientific knowledge and to develop practical applications in fields such as mineral exploitation, civil engineering, environmental protection and rehabilitation of land after mining.
Personal requirements of a Geologist may include:
- Excellent communications skills
- Good maths and science
- Attention to detail
- Excellent computer skills
Geologists may complete the following tasks:
- Data collection and Geotechnical database management
- Implementation and maintenance of the geotechnical model including Geotechnical investigations
- Pit inspections and monitoring of slope performance, Geotechnical reconciliation and regular reporting
- Co-ordinating site reviews and audits in accordance with the MTW Slope and Dump Management Plan
This occupation has a level of skill commensurate with a bachelor degree or higher qualification. At least five years of relevant experience may substitute for the formal qualification. In some instances, relevant experience and/or on-the-job training may be required in addition to the formal qualification (ANZSCO Skill Level 1).