Senior Drillers /Senior Toolpushers move, set up and operate drilling rigs and related equipment to drill holes for mineral exploration and oil and gas production.
Personal requirements of a Senior Driller may include:
- Excellent communication skills
- Problem solving
- Technically minded
Senior Drillers may complete the following tasks:
- Move rigs onto site and set them up
- Position drills and set angles and depths
- Start and stop drills and coordinate utility workers on site;
- Check equipment and progress throughout operation;
- Operate secondary equipment, such as pumps (air and mud) and equipment used to prevent and correct problems;
- Record performance details and take drill core samples;
- Carry out minor maintenance and repairs; and
- Dismantle and move rig to next site.
This position requires a relevant number of years on –the-job experience with strong knowledge in the equipment used, the methods deployed, rock and earth densities, and be able to guide workers.