A Design Engineer designs, develops and supervises the manufacture, installation, operation and maintenance of equipment, machines and systems for the generation, distribution, utilisation and control of electric power.
Personal requirements of a Design Engineer may include:
- Good maths and science (including physics)
- Problem solving
- Logical thinking
- Effective communications skills
- Sound architecture knowledge
Design Engineers may complete the following tasks:
- Confer with engineers, customers, and others to discuss existing or potential engineering projects and products.
- Design, implement, maintain, and improve electrical instruments, equipment, facilities, components, products, and systems for commercial, industrial, and domestic purposes.
- Operate computer-assisted engineering and design software and equipment to perform engineering tasks.
- Direct and coordinate manufacturing, construction, installation, maintenance, support, documentation, and testing activities to ensure compliance with specifications, codes, and customer requirements.
- Perform detailed calculations to compute and establish manufacturing, construction, and installation standards and specifications.
- Inspect completed installations and observe operations, to ensure conformance to design and equipment specifications and compliance with operational and safety standards.
This job requires a tertiary degree in Engineering to enter the field.