Principal Transmission Planning Engineer
Principal Transmission Planning Engineers utilise qualifications in electrical engineering and knowledge in all aspects related to the planning, design and operation of the transmission networks.
Personal requirements of a Principal Transmission Planning Engineer may include:
- Ability to problem solve
- Excellent communications skills
- Good maths and science
- Excellent computer skills
- Project and team management skills
Principal Transmission Planning Engineers may complete the following tasks:
- Proficiency with electric transmission modelling software
- Knowledge of transmission and distribution system designs, both underground and over head, protection schemes, and training in power system analysis
- Ability to lead by example, educate and direct others on technical subject matters, improve element programs and process effectiveness, and make significant contributions to the achievement of element goals and objectives
- Ability to work independently, and as part of a team, on broad work assignments involving the compilation, preparation, and analysis of various statistical/analytical data, reports, statements, studies, or projects
- Ability to create and follow project schedules
- Strong project management skills, including time and budget
- Strong problem solving skills and ability to analyse complex engineering issues
- Proficient use of computers and application software programs such as Microsoft Office
- Identify system limitations, developing and analysing network alternatives
- Provide expert technical advice in a broad range of network capital planning disciplines, and the management and delivery of all allocated project.
- Provide advice on current and future network capabilities, long term plans and development strategies to stakeholders, including advice on operational network capabilities
- The timely approval of individual projects to ensure the current and future security of the transmission and distribution network on a project priority basis
- Conduct network analysis, planning studies and project approval reports.
- Undertake special projects and technical investigations, feasibility studies for internal and external customers
This job requires a degree or similar qualifications in Electrical Engineering plus on-the-job experience.