Gasfitters install, commission, maintain, test, repair and service gas systems in any building.
Personal requirements of a gasfitter may include:
- Able to work with your hands
- Work indoors and outdoors
- Being physically resilient
- Good communication skills as you will work closely with other trades and customers
Gasfitters may complete the following tasks:
- Prepareing and studying drawings and specifications
- Finding and making positions for connections, then cuting holes through walls and floors to accommodate pipes.
- Measuring pipes and marking, cutting or bending lines
- Installing plumping fixtures
- Maintainance and repair of plumbing systems
To become a gasfitter, an apprenticeship in gasfitting at a Registered Training Organisation at Certificate III level will be required.
A career as a gasfitter could include working for a small or large company as a leading hand or in a management position, within the power plant generation, Coal Seam Gas or Liquefied Natural Gas industries. However, further education from Certificate IV to bachelor level may also be completed.