Power Systems Operators monitor and operate switchboards and related equipment in electrical control centres to control the distribution of electrical power in transmission networks. Power station operators operate reactors, turbines, boilers, generators and other related equipment in electrical generating stations and substations. They are employed by electric power utilities and by some large manufacturing facilities.
Personal requirements of a Systems Operator may include:
- Good degree of self-motivation and direction
- Effective communication skills
- Proven flexibility and adaptability
- Must be computer literate
- Problem solving
- Able to prioritise tasks
- Ability to remain calm in emergency situations
Systems Operators may complete the following tasks:
- Control and distribute the power among the generators and boilers in the plant
- Constantly monitor instruments and gauges to keep the voltage at the right level
- Maintenance and repairs
This job requires the completion of a tertiary degree in Electrical Engineering.