Unit Controllers operate and monitor reciprocating generating plant, gas turbine generating plant and station auxiliaries remote from the control room.
Personal requirements of a Unit Controller may include:
- Ability to follow procedures and commitment to safe work practices
- Good at mechanical and/or electrical activities
- Logical and thorough approach to work
- Problem solving skills
- Good maths
- Excellent communicator with a strong grasp of both written and spoken English
- A willingness to relocate to remote areas
This job usually requires the completion of a traineeship or apprenticeship in ESI - for example a Diploma in ESI Generation (operations). Entry requirements may vary but most employers require Year 10 and some may prefer Year 12. However usually Certificate III level, and on-the-job training offered as an apprenticeship, is required.