Project and program managers (administrators) plan and administer programs, special projects and support services, including management of staff.
Personal requirements of project and program managers may include:
- Willing and able to accept responsibility
- Good time management skills
- Team leadership ability
- Financial awareness and being able to manage finances
- Able to work under pressure and to strict deadlines
- Good communication skills
- Analytical and sound judgement skills
Project and program managers may complete the following tasks:
- Direct and coordinate the activities within an organization, in order to meet organizational objectives
- Resolve problems concerning services within the area of responsibility
- Prepare reports about the organization's activities and program or project achievements
- Advise senior management on matters requiring attention, and implement management decisions
- Review and develop administrative systems and procedures
- Work out financial risks associated with a project and implement strategies to reduce these risks
- Develop budget plans and monitor ongoing costs
Jobs in this group usually require completion of a recognised Bachelor Degree and some jobs may additionally require post-graduate study, such as a Graduate Certificate, Graduate Diploma or Master Degree.
Many project managers complete degrees in engineering or information technology with a major or minor in project management. Universities may have flexible entry requirements. Therefore, contact the universities you are interested in for more information.
Once you have received a Bachelor Degree, project managers may find a job in the private or public sector and working within industries such as information technology, engineering, or building and construction.