Air-conditioning installers install, repair, and service air-conditioning systems in residences and commercial establishments.
Personal requirements of an air-conditioning installer may include:
- Enjoy and have an aptitude for technical work
- Able to work systematically and thoroughly
- Good communication skills
- Able to work as part of the team
- Able to read blueprints
- Analytical and good at problem solving
Air-conditioning installers may complete the following tasks:
- Installing, maintaining, and servicing air-conditioning systems
- Repairing or replacing defective equipment, components or wiring
- Inspect and test systems to verify system compliance with plans and specifications
- Testing electrical circuits and components for continuity, using electrical test equipment
- Complying with all applicable standards, policies and procedures, including safety procedures
- Laying out and connect electrical wiring between controls and equipment according to wiring diagram
- Studying blueprints and design specifications
- Make recommendations to ascertain the configuration of cooling equipment components and to ensure the proper installation of components
This job usually requires candidates to have undertaken an apprenticeship at Certificate III level. Qualifications can be gained in Electrotechnology (Refrigeration and Air-Conditioning) or Refrigeration and Air-Conditioning (both Certificate III level).
Upon the completion of an apprenticeship in refrigeration and air-conditioning, apprentices need to apply for a licence. Once qualified, you might work for installation, service maintenance and manufacturing firms, factories, shops, hotels and offices. Some may work on plants in the energy industry.