Electrical Engineering Draftsperson & Technician
Electrical engineering draftspeople and technicians assist and carry out electrical support in electrical engineering. They are involved in design, manufacture, diagnosis and repair of faults, operation and maintenance of equipment, facilities and distribution systems.
Personal requirements of an electrical engineering draftsperson or technician may include:
- Aptitude for technical and engineering activities
- Good communication skills
- Ability to work as part of a team
- Well developed analytical and diagnostic skills
- Able to work accurately and carefully
Electrical engineering draftspeople and technicians may complete the following tasks:
- Preparing drawings, plans and diagrams of electrical installations and circuitry
- To assist electrical engineers and engineering technologists in design and layout of electrical installations and circuitry on substations and cabling systems
- Collect data, perform tests and complex calculations, graph results and prepare charts and tabulations
- Estimate materials costs and quantities
- Assembling, installing, testing, calibrating, modifying and repairing electrical equipment and installations to conform with regulations and safety requirements
Most jobs in this occupation require a skill level advanced diploma or diploma, or at least a Certificate III. Electrical engineering technicians may specialise as a power station technician, control system technician, instrument technician, or test technician.
Once qualified, electrical engineering technician job opportunities exist in technical laboratories, maintenance, and power generation and electricity supply firms.