Telecommunications Tradespersons install telecommunications services and network equipment.
Personal requirements of a Telecommunications Tradesperson may include:
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills
- Good eyesight
- Excellent computer skills
- Ability to work outdoors
- Ability to work at heights and in confined spaces
Telecommunications Tradespersons may complete the following tasks:
- Install telecommunications services and network equipment
- Place and terminate cables; install jumpers and wires; undertake proof tests such as wire testing, circuit commissioning and power tests; analyse system faults; assemble, erect, position and label equipment
- Estimate costs, install and maintain telephones and other business communication systems at customers’ premises
- Operate call tracing facilities; install, test and carry out restorative and routine maintenance on all types of telecommunications, switching and transmission equipment
- Maintain and adhere to operational procedures, complete appropriate documentation and develop and maintain good relations with internal and external customer
This occupation requires a certificate level of skill in Telecommunications Cabling. In some instances relevant experience and/or on-the-job training may be required in addition to the formal qualification.